September 30, 2003

Dancin the night away..

Last night I went to my Afro Latino Groove class that I try to go to every Monday and Wednesday night. It is taught by a highly energetic man named Joey Dowdry. I've always gotten along with him well. Usually, after class, I will be outside the studio stretching and will chit chat with him about theatre and performing. He is extremely talented....

So, last night, I took class and he came up to me while I was stretching... gave me a dirty look. I'm sure it was because I hadn't been to class in almost a month. With the new promotion, I've been so tired and haven't felt like moving, let alone, dancing. He said I had "amazing technique". That felt pretty good, being that I haven't "danced" in quite a while. He asked what my training had been.... I told him who I had worked with at UC Irvine, in LA, and in NY. We knew some of the same people.

The coolest part of it was when he said he was choreographing a few new pieces and needs people "with fire" and was wondering if I was interested. Um... hell yeah! I would love to perform again.

See, on a quick tandem, I stopped performing not because I didn't love it and not because I wasn't good at it (to brag for a moment). I stopped performing because I was tired of the politics... I was tired of the instability... and I was tired of the rejection. I didn't like constantly auditioning. I didn't like feeling too short, too fat, too loud, not having the right look, or not good enough. THOSE are the reasons I stopped performing. That's why I like doing benefits so much. It gives me a chance to perform without having to audition!

When Joey asked if I would be interested in dancing again, I quickly said YES... because I would! The chance to do something meaningful or work on a project would be awesome. He asked if I sang too because he might want to throw in some live vocals in some numbers. Woo-hoo! I gave him my number and said I wasn't available for rehearsals during the day on weekdays but was available evenings and weekends. We'll see what happens.

I looked up his name on the internet to see what else he had done and it turns out he was the original choreographer for the BackStreet Boys! How cool is that. He also choreographs all over LA for dance teams and benefits, etc. So, this might be a really great connection to have.

On a high note, I might get to perform again!

On a low note, I missed 7th Heaven! Did anyone see it? Fill me in!

Posted by Jenny at 03:53 PM | Comments (1)

September 26, 2003

Yes, I'm Ashamed

Favorite TV shows that I am ashamed to admit I watch:

1. 7th Heaven - I know... as a Jewish girl, it just ain't right. But when my cousin, Erin and I lived together in North Hollywood, we would watch it every week.

2. Paradise Hotel - Ok, that show is so hilarious. The people on it are totally tragic.. and who knows even what they are winning. The winning couple gets something but they don't even know what they are playing the game for! Pure comedy.

3. Junior American Idol - It was bad enough that I watched American Idol and Fame, but Junior American Idol? Seriously, it was entertaining to watch the kids that were super bad… and it was totally inspiring to watch these 11 year olds that have really good voices. I could have shot Deborah Gibson (and her lisp) and Dionne Warwick (who basically looks dead).

4. Big Brother - This season’s was really good… the whole power struggle between Jee, June, Robert, and Ali. They were all talkin’ trash!

I'm going to go hide in my cave of shame now. hee hee hee

Posted by Jenny at 04:44 PM | Comments (1)

Rosh Hashana

Happy new year to all of my Jewish friends and family. I looked online at all the temples around the Pasadena area. I got a wild hair up my butt and was thinking about going to temple tonight but of course, I waited to long and don't have tickets. What's up with having to get tickets to go to services? Seriously... I think that is the lamest thing ever. For people who want to go.. they should be able to go. At least to a college hillel service somewhere.

Oh well... I guess I'll just go out for dinner and drinks, maybe have some apples and honey, and say a prayer! :)

Any one have plans for tonight?

Posted by Jenny at 10:07 AM

Anyone go to Camp Hess Kramer?

Jon Tietel from Camp Hess Kramer is putting together a list of all campers and counselors who attended in the last 20 years. I went twice to the summer camp and on Havorat Noar and Adat Noar. So, I'm signed up on the list. They are having a get together next Friday night at Cyrano's in Los Angeles. If you are in the area, you totally should go. I can't go because I'm going to an early birthday party in San Diego... but if you want to go, send me your info and I will forward it on to the folks that are planning it.

yep, that's right... yours truly is having another birthday, October 7. I can't believe I'm turning 28. That's two years closer to 30 and how frightening is that? :o) I'm hoping to have a party out at my pad the weekend after... on the 11th. Anyone in the area... come on over! I'll keep you posted.

Posted by Jenny at 09:17 AM | Comments (5)

Who is next?

Man... first it was John Ritter... now Robert Palmer? They were both amazing talents and gone far too soon. I can't believe folks at 54 or 55 are dying from heart problems. I mean, Johnny Cash, I can understand. Bob Hope, I can understand.... but John Ritter and Robert Palmer? Nope... don't get it.

Are you over the age of 50? Have you taken your vitamins and gotten your exercise today? Have you seen your cardiologist? If not, GO DO IT! :)

Posted by Jenny at 07:45 AM

September 25, 2003

My new favorite site

This is so cool! Check it out and have fun!

Posted by Jenny at 03:14 PM

September 24, 2003

The Conservatory of Flowers

Jon and I didn't get to go into the conservatory but Derek and Heather went back the next day. Check out these absolutely magnificent pictures!

Man, I wish we could have gone in!

Posted by Jenny at 10:23 AM

September 22, 2003

Home safe and sound.

We had an amazing weekend. It was so much fun. We ended up taking off straight from work at 4:00 PM. We didn't hit any traffic, thank goodness... and made it to Oakland around 10:00 PM! Not bad, huh? We even stopped to get some food!

The drive was pretty smooth ...although, when it got dark around 8:00, it was so boring. By that time, we were both ready to be out of the car and standing up. After working 8 hours (sitting down) and then sitting in the car, we got a little antsy. Somewhere between Indigo Girls, Radio Head, and the Movin Out soundtrack, I saw flashing lights behind me. SHIT.... I looked down and saw I was speeding.... seriously speeding. The speed limit was 70 but we were cruising at around 95 MPH. No one was on the road so I thought, why not? I started shaking, slowed down, and started pulling over. Suddenly, the cop went whizzing by me... apparently going to get someone else. I about died. I looked up and immediately thanked G-d and tried to stop shaking. It was pretty funny actually.

When we got to Danny's, he had spaghetti and homemade sauce on the stove for us to munch on. We had a few glasses of wine, some grub, and just laughed and talked until about 2:30 am. I felt like I was back in college. His house is just amazing. We got in the big ole king sized bed with really soft sheets and fell asleep almost before our heads hit the pillow.

Friday morning, we got up, had some coffee, and then went to his gym downstairs. I know… totally on crack… but we had sat so long the day before, we wanted to get some exercise. After some cardio, weight lifting, and stretching, we went back upstairs, showered, and got ready to hit the town.

We first went to Berkeley for lunch. We went to this cute little French place called La Note. It was gorgeous outside… look at the patio and garden pictures…. so we got a little table on the back patio. The food was incredible. We shared some cinnamon brioche with lavender honey. Whoa- so good.

From there, we headed into San Francisco to do some site seeing and shopping. Danny showed us the beautiful, huge homes by the water and the Palace of Fine Arts which was breath taking. We then went down to Ghiradelli Square to shop around and have some ice cream sundaes. See, we felt ok about eating all that chocolate goodness because we worked out that morning! Jon and I bought some cute San Francisco shot glasses and some ghiradelli carmel coffee. I can’t wait to try that.

After that, we walked around Beach Street where they had a bunch of vendors selling silver jewelry, hand made pipes, and other cool stuff. I was good and didn’t buy any more silver jewelry. I definitely have enough.

Once we were completely pooped, we went back to Danny’s in Oakland Hills to relax and get ready for the evening. Around 7:00, we headed over to Garibaldi’s in Oakland. That place is really cool…. Danny and I went there when I was visiting him last year. We had a few martinis and some really good food. I had this halibut dish that was served with Romano beans… YUM… and Jon had a filet mignon that he devoured! Once we had had quite a few drinks, we decided to go back to Danny’s and get in the spa. How nice was that?

Again, we stayed up talking and laughing and finally passed out… close to 1:00 am.

Saturday morning, we had a light breakfast with Danny and then headed into San Francisco by ourselves to meet up with my brother, Derek, and his girlfriend, Heather. We met them at their cute place around 11:15 after getting a little lost. Don’t trust map quest. They told us to get off at an exit that no longer existed! Thank goodness, I had a map of San Francisco already highlighted to my brother’s house from when I went last year. We pulled that sucker out and figured out how to get back on track.

We hung out at their place for a little bit and then took the dogs for a walk. Starting to get hungry, we strolled down to Zazie’s, a cute breakfast place. We had to wait a few minutes for a table but it was definitely worth it. I ordered the most amazing gingerbread pancakes with this sweet lemon sauce and roasted pears. Mmm… heaven! Jon even ran into a friend of his that he’s known since High School at the restaurant! Small world!

From there, we walked over to Golden Gate Park to check out the Conservatory of Flowers. Apparently, they had been closed for renovation since 1995 and had just opened up on Saturday! We tried to get tickets but the first available time was 3:30 and that was too late since the wedding was that night. So, we walked around there, peaking in the windows and checking out the area. We headed back towards their house, catching a concert in the band shell, walking around the Aids garden, hearing the drum circles, seeing the big stage being built for Duran Duran, and being offered pot by a grungy girl who said she had “massive nuggets” and that it was “dank shit”. Pretty funny.

We got back to Danny’s around 3:30…. I thought the wedding was at 7:00 but it was at 6:00 so we had to rush to get ready. Looking cute and directions in hand, we headed off to Sausalito. We thought were going to get there on time….until I missed the exit and accidentally got on the Golden Gate Bridge. Seriously! I was so pissed. We had to take the bridge all the way across, pay the fee, get off on some road that took us 2 miles out of our way, flip a u-turn, and go back on that road, back on the Golden Gate Bridge, and then off the exit. It was the biggest pain in the ass… and it was then after 6:00. Finally we got to the Spinnaker where the wedding was. As we walked in, there was Andrea, looking stunning, running over to us!! They were waiting for us to start! How cool was that? We felt so special. We took our seats, and the wedding started.

I have to say, it was the most beautiful, heartfelt, honest ceremony I’ve ever been to… and we’ve been to like 6 weddings this past year. They created their own vows and just cried through the whole thing. I was a big ole mess. Truly, it was amazing. The service was beautiful, everyone looked gorgeous, and I was so grateful that we were able to be there. We even got to see some old friends that we hadn’t seen in years!

We did one slow dance, heard the speeches and toasts, watched everyone dance, had some food, waited for them to cut the cake, and then decided to take off. We were so exhausted from our day; we couldn’t wait to go to bed! However, G-d had other plans for us. We waited in traffic for a half hour to go 1 mile because there was road construction! Nice…. But, we finally made it back to Danny’s around midnight.

Sunday, we got up a little later than we wanted to… but, had some breakfast with Danny and then got on the road around 10:00 am. We again, made great time and got home around 3:30 pm…. And went to sleep! We were so pooped that a nap was definitely in order. That night, we ordered Chinese food and went to sleep at 9:00 PM, like old people!

All in all, it was an amazing weekend!

Posted by Jenny at 05:14 PM | Comments (1)


Just wrote a shit load about the trip and pressed a button... it's all gone! :( I'll have to find time to write later.....

Posted by Jenny at 10:52 AM

September 18, 2003

Time to hit the road...

Yep.... we're taking off in the next 20 minutes for San Francisco! I can't wait to get out of town. I'm feeling about the same... can't tell if it is a cold or just allergies. Kinda feels like allergies... scratchy throat, little cough, and clogged ears. I'm not going to let it slow me down though. I've got my Flonase and over the counter drugs I'm taking. Can't say it's really working but the Flonase clears me up for a while.

Anyhoo- we'll be back on Sunday. Have a good weekend!

Posted by Jenny at 03:43 PM | Comments (1)

September 16, 2003


So far so good.... the new job is going really well. I'm extremely busy but enjoying what I'm doing. The only thing that sucks is now that the anticipation is lowered and I'm not as stressed out, I'm getting sick. That always happens. I would always get sick after finals in college or after a big move... my body just kind of shuts down.

I am fighting it big time though... taking lots of vitamins, getting lots of sleep, and drinking lots of tea. I have no time to get sick. Jon and I are leaving Thursday after work to go up to San Francisco. Our friend's Andrea and Joel are getting married! Very excited. We are going to get there late Thursday night and hang with our friend Danny in Oakland. That'll be fun- make it more of a vacation than just going up for the wedding.

Think good, healthy thoughts for me!

Tonight- dinner with my dad. :o)

Posted by Jenny at 11:56 AM

September 12, 2003

September 11 Anniversary

Yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about all of my friends in New York. I thought about what it must have been like these past two years, living in a state that had been so greatly abused and violated. It will be good for me to go to Ground Zero when I'm in New York in November.

I remembered where I was when it happened.

We told stories here at work.... the "where were you when" stories....

I can't believe I worked in the North Tower for two years... and left just two months prior to that horrible day. I give thanks to the powers that be for putting the idea in my head that I wanted to come home. All things happen for a reason, right? I wonder if that is why I didn't get Mamma Mia? I'd like to believe it is... among other things, I guess.

Last night, I said good night early and went into the bedroom with all intents of going to sleep. But instead, I turned on the TV and watched Dateline. Diane Sawyer had a huge segment on the children and widows from 9-11. All the Mom's told their stories of how they are moving on... how they are remembering... and how their now 2 year olds are growing up without a daddy. How the kids kiss the photos and know that "daddy is in heaven". It tore me up, seriously. I sat there with tears falling slowly, grieving for them..... and reliving the whole thing all over again..... thinking how horrible it would be if that were me. If I had lost the love of my life in a building that tumbled to the groung. In a building where two years later, they are still finding remains of the victims. How do you move on from that? How do you let go of those nightmares?

I fell asleep with a weary heart, wet eyes, hugging my teddy bear.....

Posted by Jenny at 09:24 AM