November 21, 2003

This weather sucks!

What the shit? When I was in NY, it was freezing and it happened to be in the upper 70's here in LA. Today, it is like 55 degrees here and 65 degrees in NY. Somethin ain't right!

Posted by Jenny at 11:24 AM | Comments (1)

November 18, 2003

Back to LA tomorrow

I have had thee best time here in NY. Do I want to move back here? Absolutely not... but it sure has been fun spending time with people that I care about.

Sunday night, Derek picked me up (he is a rare New Yorker that actually owns a car!) and took me to his place up in the Bronx. We watched the American Music Awards, played with his adorable puppy, Ernie, and caught up until about 1:00 in the morning. I spent the night there on his comfy fold out sofabed. In the morning, we had some breakfast, watched some cartoons, and headed into the city. I had to be back in Astoria by 4:00 for our manicures and Derek had to be over at the Actor's Connection to work. So, we took the train in together and went to one of my favorite places to eat, Cosi's. We don't have those over on the West coast. They have totally yummy salads and sandwiches. We munched for a while and then went our separate ways. It was so good to catch up with him. It sounds like he is in a really good place these days.

The plan was for Tiffany and I to get our nails done and then hit one of my favorite Greek restaurants in Astoria called Mezzo Mezzo.... but I was so tired that after our nails were done, I needed a nap. Also, I have been eating and drinking like crazy here so my stomach has not been so happy with me. Since Tiff needed to go to the grocery store, I said I would go home to take a short nap and we could go out around 7:00. She said she would pick me up some Mylanta for my tummy ache.

An hour later, I woke up from a much needed nap, and Tiff handed me a bottle of what I thought was Antacid. I took a sip of it and thought it tasted funny... so I looked at the label and it said Milk of Magnesia laxative! Holy SHIT. I totally drank some laxative. We had a good laugh on that one. On our way to Mezzo Mezzo later, I stopped in the Eckerts to pick up some Maalox stuff.

Dinner was so good.... hummus and fresh bread and pitas... a bottle of Pinot Grigio split between the two of us... and some swordfish kabobs. Ok.... yum! We really didn't stay out too late because she had to work early in the morning. We came home, listened to some music, hung out a bit... and then I packed my suitcase and went to bed. Unfortunately, not everything fit in my suitcase so I had to borrow a duffle bag from David today! ha ha ha.

This morning, my stomach hurt so bad.... I spent about a half hour in the bathroom. I think the laxative totally screwed me up! I can't believe I drank some of it... too funny.

Today, I hung out with David a bit at his house and then went over to Andrea's. We were going to go out for coffee but I didn't think my stomach would like that so we ended up getting some smoothies at a new place in the hood called Igloo. They were really good.....

Now, just chillin out, getting ready to go see the musical Wicked tonight. I am so super excited. I couldn't get a ticket at first and called everyone and their mother who knew someone in the cast. No one had tickets... so I thought I would try Ticketmaster one more time last night and they released some more seats! YAY! So, I am seeing that at 7:00 PM and then getting together with my friend, Noelle for a drink. I can't wait. Right now... I'm just going to finish packing, call the car service to pick me up at 5:15 in the morning, and get ready to go into the city for the last time of this trip.

It truly has been a wonderful trip... seeing all these people that I was so close to 10 years ago.. and still so close to now. I got to mourn the World Trade Center, see my friends from Merrill, go shopping, see two Broadway shows, have many great dinners and lots-o-drinks, and go Karaoking! Not bad, eh? The only thing this trip missed was seeing my good friend, Jon Stewart. He is in St. Thomas working on a cruise ship show last minute. He was supposed to be here but then he got work like last week. Hey, if I were wanting to work and was offered that, I would take it as well. I am just bummed that I didn't get to spend some time with him. Otherwise, this trip has been absolutely amazing.

I am so ready to sleep in my own bed though... and give Jon a great big hug!

Posted by Jenny at 01:12 PM

November 16, 2003

I'm in a NY state of mind..

The last two nights have been ultimate nights of debauchery. I went out with Tiffany to a place in midtown called The Eatery on Friday night. I started out with a dirty martini.... before any food was in the tummy. Not smart. Then, I moved on to another dirty martini with my dinner.... mac-n-cheese, of course. By then, I was super toasty. Tiff and I were crackin each other up big time.

After dinner, and a huge brownie and ice cream desert, we hit the city looking for another place to go. We ended up at Colony Records to see what kind of fun music I could buy. I bought a song selection book of John and Jen, one of my favorite shoes... and the karaoke cd of Mamma Mia. I know... I did it. I want to go record some of it over at Ryan's I guess to prove to myself that I frickin rock on those songs. And, to give the cd to those friends of mine that saw the show and said I looked and sounded like the lead girl. Hee hee hee.

By this time, it was already around 11:30 PM. Tiff and I were pooped so we decided to head back to Astoria to hang out. We got back there and passed out. Man, am I getting old.

On Saturday, Tiffany and I got up and headed to the gym. She teaches a pilates class every Saturday from 12:30 to 1:30 and I really wanted to take her class. She was SO GOOD. I was incredibly impressed. Her voice was so soothing and her words were totally descriptive with the movements. It was a really good class.

From there, we got some lunch and headed home. Tiff and Matt had plans Saturday night with family in Westchester so I got ready and headed into the city. I wanted to do a little more shopping and wander around a bit.... I went to Conways to take back a few things and check out H&M.

Saturday night, I met up with some of my closest friends, Derek, David, Devlin, and Jeffrey. Derek, David, and Devlin and I all went to UC Irvine together. We've all been through a shit load of stuff together. It was so amazing to spend time with them. We had dinner and lots-o-margaritas at Arriba Arriba on 51st and 9th. The food was scrumptious and the strawberry margaritas were stiff. We all got sooooo silly... tellin stories from the past and laughing are little heads off. We were there for a long time... closin the place down. It was about midnight when we left there.... and we decided to head to Mr. Biggs on 10th Avenue and 44th Street. Mr. Biggs is a big ole karaoke bar. We had a few more drinks there and each got up to sing. I did Natural Woman, Aretha Franklin. I wanted to do Let's Give Them Somethin To Talk About, Bonnie Raitt, but a girl got up and did that right before me and she was really good.... so I decided to jump up to some Aretha Franklin. Devlin ripped up some Tina Turner's Proud Mary. It was awesome... she was totally working the crowd. David busted out with Reasons, Earth Wind and Fire. He was just as brilliant as I remember him being! We had thee best time. I think I got home around 2:30 AM after sharing a cab back to Astoria with David and Jeffrey. I was so sleepy.

This morning, Tiffany and I got up fairly early to have brunch in Greenwich Village with our friend James. YUM.... we got a little lost getting there but ended up having a really good time. We had some yummy mimosas and omlettes and then walked around a bit and ended up at another restaurant where we got the most incredible deserts. I have eaten so much this week... I'm totally going to burst.

After desert, we said our goodbyes and then headed to the Gershwin theatre to see Movin Out. It's a broadway musical with Billy Joel's music and choreography by Twyla Tharp. I got Tiffany and I tickets for her birthday. It was the coolest show. The band was fierce, the dancers were even more fierce, and the choreography was awesome. The actual story was kind of lame and a little hard to follow but that was secondary to the amazing dancers.

Tonight, I'm hanging out in Riverdale (the bronx) at Derek's house, eating pumpkin cheesecake, playing with his little puppy, Ernie, and watching the American Music Awards. I'm pretty exhausted so, we are in for the night.

Tomorrow- manicure with Tiffany... that's all I have planned. I'm having a great time but really missing Jon. I'm about ready to be home. :o)

Posted by Jenny at 07:24 PM

November 14, 2003


I can't even fully describe the emotional roller coaster I went through today.

The day started out with coffee this morning with Tiff.... all good.

I then got ready and headed into the city to one of my favorite stores, Conways. They have really cool clothes for super cheap. I took the N train downtown into the city. So stoked... didn't have an anxiety attack. I really didn't think I would, but, I know emotionally where I was the last time I was here... and I remember every time we left Queensborough Plaza and headed into the city, I would get this curious knot in my stomach... hoping the train wouldn't stop in the darkness. But all was good... I brought my head phones with me and was listening to a great cd Jon made for me like two years ago.

I got off at 34th Street and knew exactly where to go... up Broadway to 35th where Conways was. Everything looked pretty much the same... except H&M, my other favorite store, was down Broadway instead of on 34th Street. I am going to hit H&M this weekend. I didn't have time for it today.

Conways was everything I expected it to be. I found so much cool stuff... and spent way more than I should have... but whatever! I am on vacation! :)

I still had some time to spare but decided to head over to Merrill Lynch early. I figured I would take some time and go to Ground Zero first before seeing my friends for lunch. I also knew that the path getting there would be different since the tunnel I used to walk through was no longer there.

I took the N train down to Cortland Street and got off right by Century 21, another cool shopping place. As soon as I looked across the street, I gasped. I couldn't believe it. It was a pit of construction. I immediately crossed the street and went right up to the fence. The entire area has a huge fence around it. It was not long before the tears started streaming down my face. I just kept shaking my head like I was in some sort of dream state. Of course I had seen the pictures and watched the news reports... but this was unbelievable. I stood there and cried and cried and cried. I saw where the shopping center used to be... and where the tunnel was to the north tower... I pictured it all the way it used to be. I was in serious shock. For about ten minutes, I just thought and prayed and thanked G-d that all of my friends got out ok and that I wasn't there. I walked around the whole fence and saw the memorials that they had set up for the families and the pictures above of what it used to look like. I took lots of pictures.... and sobbed.

I walked up these stairs and through a glass tunnel that looked just like the one that I used to walk through when I worked at Merrill. I didn't have an anxiety attack or anything like that.... but I did feel empty... like I was sleep walking or something.

I made my way through the Financial Center and headed over to Merrill, wiping my eyes and trying to reapply my make-up so I looked normal. I had to stop and buy more film because I took so many pictures at Ground Zero.

I got to Merrill and things were totally different. They had to scan my bags before I went in.... they asked for identification and then took a computerized picture of me. When they called Annette, she wasn't there so I had a seat in the lobby and waited. While I was sitting there, I thought I saw Annette walking out of the building... so I ran out and called after her. It WAS her... she was going outside for a quick smoke.

Your early! she said.

I ran up to her and gave her the biggest hug and broke down for the 15th time that day! She just hugged me and said how good it was to see me. I told her that she didn't know how good it was to see her!

I went outside with her while she had a smoke. Outside, I ran into another one of my former Merrill co-workers named Jay. He looked at me funny and then was like OH MY G-D! What are you doing here I gave him a hug too. He worked on the trading floor so I wasn't sure if he got out. Apparently, he did. We stood there, in the freezing cold, and chatted for a bit.

Annette and I finally went upstairs where I saw everyone I used to work with. It was so amazing. Everyone looks the same. They said how good I looked and how they liked the highlights in my hair. When I worked there, I had pretty short hair and it was all dark brown.... so I looked a little different. I also am not so skidish and anxiety ridden anymore! YAY! We chatted for a while... I showed them some pictures.... and they gave me the scoop on everyone in the office. Some people left after 9-11 because they couldn't deal with working in that building. I guess Merrill offered everyone that wanted to leave a pretty nice package. They told me who had babies, who was pregnant, who got married, and who was still a bitch. ha ha ha. Some things never change. All the lawyers came out of their offices to say hello and give me hugs. So nice. Unfortunately, the main boss that I worked for, Carlos, was not there. He was in Puerto Rico because his mom had passed away. So sad....

Annette and I headed out to get some Chinese food. Yum. We sat there and talked for like two hours. I thanked her for being a surogate mother for me in NY. I told her how important her relationship was to me and how much I appreciated her constant support and love. She told me not to get mushy on her because she didn't want to cry. Typical Annette strength.... She was mad because I insisted on paying. I told her it was payback for all of the red vines she used to bring me. When I was having a really hard time and wasn't eating much, she would always bring me red vines so my sugar level wouldn't drop.

She told me all about Ally, her now 11 year old daughter... showed me a picture. She's adorable. She told me how so many people at Merrill had serious anxiety problems after 9-11 so Merrill brought in therapists for free. They provided breakfast and lunch for all workers and free therapy sessions. How cool is that? She told me how everyone freaked out when NY had their blackout because they thought it was another terrorist attack. She told me how after the first plane hit, they were told to go back to work because it wasn't a big deal and how they didn't evacuate until after the second plane hit.... five minutes before the building collapsed. She told me about how this last summer, there was a Continental flight of military coming back from Iraq that got permission to circle the Statue of Liberty and no one was informed... so they all got hysterical when they saw a commercial plane flying at 500 feet and circling their area. She described the smell after they returned back to the Financial Center... and how some people were throwing up on the street from it.

I was in shock to say the least.

The conversation wasn't all about 9-11... it was about her family and my family and what was new...etc. But everything she said about her experiences during the attack and after were what really shook me up. I kept telling her how thankful I was that they were physically ok.

After a few deep breathes, we headed back up to Merrill. I stayed there and chatted a bit more with everyone, took some pictures, gave some hugs, and then headed out. The way out was just as saddening as the way in was. I couldn't wait to get back on the subway and out to Astoria.

Unfortunately, since I was totally shaken up, I got on the wrong train... and then transferred to another wrong train that took me up to Jackson Heights... so I had to get on another train that took me back into the city. OY. Finally, I got on the N train to Astoria.... but then I got off a stop to early. Clearly, I was not running on all cylinders. Eventually, I got to Ditmars... got off the train... and walked in the right direction to Tiffany's house.

I just need to unwind a bit.... lots of emotions running through my body.

Tonight, girls night out with Tiffany.... much needed drinks.

Posted by Jenny at 02:26 PM | Comments (1)

World Trade Center day

Last night, I had a great time... spent some time with my friend David.... saw pictures from his cruise the last year. And then I went to the upper east side to see my friend Noelle in a play of one acts. Her scenes were definitely the best. It was good to see her. Got back around midnight... read a bit... and then went to bed. It is FREEZING here.... and very windy.

Today, I'm off to have lunch with my friends that I used to work with at Merrill Lynch. After lunch, I'm going to walk around what used to be the World Trade Center. It's going to be a hard day.... but I need to see it. I've only seen pictures and that's been hard enough.

Tonight, drunken debauchery with Tiffany.

Posted by Jenny at 06:38 AM

November 13, 2003

NY NY, a wonderful town...

I am in NYC this week... visiting friends... and being blown away by the winds. Man, there are like 45 mph winds today. I'm glad I flew in yesterday and not today. The flight yesterday was a bit bumpy though... I had some moments of fright. But, I didn't scream or anything. I just gripped the arm rests tightly and breathed deeply! :) I got lucky... no one sat next to me. So, I had plenty of room to stretch out and sleep. JetBlue rocks....

Yesterday, I got in 45 minutes early... seriously. That was cool. I jumped in a cab and started calling all of my friends to announce my arrival. About a half hour later, I arrived in Astoria at my friend Tiffany's house. She lives on 28th Street in between 23rd Avenue and Ditmars. So, this is about 13 or so blocks north of my old place. Tiffany had left keys for me in the mailbox so I just let myself in and checked the place out. It's a totally cute two bedroom apartment. They made it so nice....

Since Tiff wasn't going to be home until 6:00, I set mysef up and headed out to Ditmars where all the shops are. I was starving. I had a yogurt, a banana, and some coffee all day... that was it. So, I went to my all time favorite place in the hood called Pizza Palace. Jeff, you know what I'm talking about! :) I got the chicken parm with baked ziti. YUM. It was the same place it used to be three years ago with the kiddie carousel in the corner. Wow... On my way back to Tiff's, I stopped by the flower shop and picked up some flowers for their house as a sort of house-warming/thank you for letting me stay present.

As soon as I got back, I kicked off my boots, took off my coat and scarf, and plunged into my ziti goodness. It was so freakin good... They have cable too so that was kind of exciting... I sat there, fllicking channels... and then fell asleep. Next thing I know, it's ten to six... so, I got up and made myself look presentable... and then ding dong... Tiff was home!

We sat down, caught up, had a drink... and then went to meet her boyfriend and her boyfriend's friend, Chris, at a local Mexican place for some grub. We had some guacamole and margaritas and a bunch of laughs... good times.

I think I made it up to 11:00... read in bed for a while... and then passed out around 11:45.

This morning, I got up and everyone was gone at work so I had the place to myself. Coffee was already made (thanks Tiff).... I just watched the Morning show... relaxed a bit. And then got ready- had keys made for myself- and then went over to my friend's Andrea and Joel's house... who also live in the hood. They live like 5 blocks from here. We caught up for a few hours, looked at pictures from their recent wedding, played with their kitties... and here I am back at Tiffany's.

I'm about to go over to my friend David's house, who also lives in the hood. We'll catch up for a bit and then I'm off to the upper east side to see my friend, Noelle in a play of one acts that happens to have their opening night tonight! Sweet.

Tomorrow... lunch with my friends at Merrill Lynch and viewing the World Trade Center. That should be rough... but definitely needs to happen. Then, happy hour with Andrea and Joel, and then a night out on the town with Tiffany. Watch out! :)

Meanwhile, good thoughts being sent to Jon's dad, Dick. He was in the hospital all week with a blood clot in his lung. Scary stuff. He is out of the hospital now and slowly getting better. We are all thinking good thoughts for him and wishing him a speedy recovery. *smile*

Posted by Jenny at 11:13 AM

November 10, 2003

Out Here On My Own

Ok, I have put the song on my friend David's website. Feel free to listen to all of his music as well.... he is amazing.

Click here and let me know if this worked....

If it did, let me know what you think! :)

Posted by Jenny at 08:03 AM | Comments (3)


I'm having a really hard time uploading my song into Movable Type. It keeps telling me the file is too large. Does anyone know what the limit is? The file is only 2.95 MB. Help!

Posted by Jenny at 08:00 AM

November 09, 2003

Coming soon...

I had so much fun last night hanging out with my friend Ryan, aka hommie. We hadn't seen each other in quite some time.... so, I drove out to Northridge to chill out- we cracked a bottle of wine, ordered some yummy italian delivery, and recorded! Yes! Ryan has an amazing studio in his house. He is the one that produces other people's music as well as has an entire cd of his own that should be playing on the radio. His music is incredible.

Every now and then, I'll go over there and lay down some tracks. I hadn't recorded in over 5 years. I sang "Out Here On My Own" from Fame. Yes, Irene Cara... David, are you listening? :) (My friend David loves Irene Cara) I didn't start singing until around 10:30 PM, but the recording came out flawless... in my humble opinion.

I want to post it on this site for y'all to listen to but need to figure out how to do that. I'm off to get my hair done but hopefully will be able to have it here later tonight. *smile*

Posted by Jenny at 03:17 PM

November 07, 2003

Friendship is rare..

I've been feeling kind of strange lately about my friends... or friendship in general I guess. It's weird, I was SO close with my LA friends when I lived in NY. We talked at least once a week. I missed them so much and couldn't wait to move back to spend more time together. So, I move back to LA and barely get to see those friends. I actually end up talking more to my NY friends. Now, I'm going back to NY for a week and couldn't be more excited. I guess distance makes the heart grow fonder or something like that.

Granted, their are major life changes happening like most of us having "real" jobs now that we are really busy with or boyfriends/girlfriends or family drama..... lots of stuff going on... but friendship has always been a huge part of my life. You have to make time to keep in touch and nurture the relationship. Otherwise, you are basing your friendship on all the history you've shared together rather than where you are in your life now and current experiences you continue to share.

I don't know .... I'm just pensive about it all. I miss those crazy times that we used to have. Is this just how things will be moving forward? Does friendship fall into third place... below the boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife and the family on the priority list?

Poo nuggets on getting older!

Posted by Jenny at 08:41 AM | Comments (1)